Friday, April 29, 2016

Smithsonian Museum of Air and Space Extension - Udvar-Hazy Center Layover

It's a bit ironic that I haven't posted anything about Washington, D.C.  I am a Washington-Licensed tour guide (and, I actually did it when there was a lengthy examination involved), so it seems fitting that I should put some insight into my experiences in the district.  I'm going to do two new things with this post, however.  I also have done some pretty exciting layovers over the years, so this will also be the first in a series of layover tours.

The Udvar-Hazy extension has been on my list for quite some time, not least of which because I am a space geek.  The big draw for me, of course, was to see the space shuttle Discovery.  I've now visited 3 of the 4 retired space shuttles.  I kept thinking that sooner or later, I would have a tour group go out to it, or that I would have a long enough layover at Dulles airport to do it.  Then, finally, my opportunity came.  Here is my story.  No, this isn't Law and Order.

The plan that I'm going to give is essentially a layover plan.  I'm assuming that you won't have large or much luggage, and that you will take public transit.  It is possible to drive here as well, but beware, despite James Smithson's instructions that all Smithsonian museums be free, that apparently doesn't include the parking lots ($15 currently).  From the main terminal at Dulles, find your way to island 2E.  Here you will wait for bus 983, which runs every 20 minutes or so.  The information desks downstairs at the airport should have schedules available, and it is currently available online at this link: Bus 983 .  The bus is $1.75 each way, cash or SmarTrip card only.  If you're lacking in quarters, there are plenty of little places in the airport to buy something cheap and ask for quarters in change.  The ride is reliably 12 minutes.  When you arrive at the museum, you will have to open your bags for security.  There are FREE lockers available (you have to insert a quarter that is returned when you open the locker).  I found it plenty big for my carry-on and backpack, with room to spare, and, at 25 cents a piece, knock yourself out and get as many lockers as you need.
Once inside, treat yourself to some of the marvels of flight.  This museum carries some of the larger specimens, and many one-of-a-kind aircraft.  They even have the Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird, which broke a speed recrod on its last flight in 1990, flying from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C. in 1 hour, 4 minutes, 20 seconds... after 24 years of active service.  If only passenger jets would catch up!  Looks a bit like something from Naboo.  A fun activity while at the center is going into the mock control tower.  It overlooks the runways at Dulles airport, and also has a nice exhibit explaining the navigational aspects of the FAA and what pilots learn and look for in flight and upon landing.  
Another special exhibit is the refurbishment hangar, where you can watch the engineers and curators actively working to restore aircraft. Information displays give some sparse information on what is being restored.  If you're interested, or traveling with kids, there are also experiences where you can sit in the pilot's chair of a Cessna single prop plane, and also flight simulators. 
Budgeting your time - 
I found 2 1/2 hour so be sufficient for me.  I am a flight enthusiast, which might come from how much time I spend in airplanes... However, if you wanted to do the guided tour (which is free, usually on the hour), ride in the simulators, and perhaps eat lunch at the McDonalds, you may require more time.  I would assume up to 30 minutes time from the airport, and be at the bus stop to return to the airport on time for the 12-minute ride.  Expect security to take 45-60 minutes on your return (A little tip- check out the security line when you leave the terminal to see if it's a good or busy day.  If you have pre-check, even better!)  Minimum layover time - 4 hours.  It's just too risky to do this whole experience and return in time for your flight in less time than that.  Last but not least, enjoy!  There are so many unique exhibits here.  It seems like every other plaque says "last one in existence" or "only prototype ever created".  There is even a full Air France concord in there.  It's an amazing experience, don't miss it!

Layover Stats:
Rating (1-10): 9
Minimum layover: 4 hours
Cost: $3.50 round-trip bus per person (in cash), Simulators/IMAX film extra
Airport: Washington-Dulles (IAD)
Audience: All Ages



No comments:

Post a Comment