Monday, March 7, 2016

Traveler's Tool Box: Luggage

I deal with a LOT of luggage.  No joke.  When I work a big bus tour, I handle more than 50 bags every day.  I know which ones break!  I see some bags that don't make it 6 days on a bus tour.  This article I'm calling part 1 of my tool box. 

 Luggage

Even the word is daunting.  LUG anything around and it is a burden.  With more and more airlines charging for checked bags, and now carry-on bags, this is becoming even more important.  Square or round, soft-sided or hard-shell...?  I spoke to a contact who is an engineer in airport operations.  I have carried each of these bags at some point in time.  Long story short, I keep returning to this one bag that I got in high school every time another suitcase breaks.  It's an LL Bean Rolling Adventure Duffle.  Current retail price is $109.95, but I see this item on sale a lot, especially during the holidays.

The good, and the not as good...

Soft shell: This bag is tough, but beware, it's not a hard shell bag.  If your goals are to buy nice artwork, put it in a cardboard tube, and carry it home in this luggage, then you might want to consider a hard shell.  For everything else, this is great.  The soft shell means the bag is very light.  When on a long trip, every pound counts.  It is also a standard duffle, meaning it is meant to lay flat on the ground.  I roll my eyes watching people trying to stand this bag on end... so, watch out, this bag will end up being dropped a lot, but it can handle it (as long as your contents can handle it, too!).  I have brought home big bottles of olive oil wrapped up in clothes in this bag with no problem.  But, always double bag them in zip top bags!!! (just a side note- if you travel to Italy, Spain, or Greece and want to bring back olive oil, always pack 4 or 5 two-gallon zipper bags.  Then, you can double, or even triple bag it for added security on the flight home.

Wheels and handle:  Very sturdy.  This bag has been traveling with me for years to Europe.  It has rolled through snow, ice, cobblestones, and more.  I've never had to replace a wheel.  The handle fits flush into the bag, so no fears of those pesky airlines breaking it.  It also has a handle on the bottom so that you can easily pick it up with both hands to load it into a car, or carry it down the steps at a subway station.

Size:  Get LARGE.  The extra large is too big to fly with.  I find that the large stuffed to the brim with clothes is reliably under 50 pounds (the limit for most checked bags).  Add more weight for liquids, shoes, and souvenirs.

Interior:  This is a one-pocket bag.  Yes, it can be difficult to organize, but a purchase of some packing cubes can cure that problem!  Personally, I like the one large pocket.  It prevents that really disturbing scenario of pulling a bag out of the closet a year after a trip and finding a pair of dirty socks stuffed into one of the pockets!

The manufacturer:  It is rare these days to find a company that stands by their products like this.  LL Bean has a satisfaction guarantee.  If anything on the bag doesn't live up, they will replace it.  I have had this bag since high school, and I only sent it back once.  The reason?  One plastic buckle on the cinch-down straps broke off on it's 200th (?)  flight.  I tried to get them to mail me a new buckle, but they insisted on replacing the entire bag.  That's a company I want to buy from again!


No comments:

Post a Comment